Vivek Kotecha of the Centre for Health and the Public Interest (CHPI) presentation with a sound and simple critique of the NHS England Five Year Forward View
Action points from the Northern HCT Meeting
1. Need to brief councillors re NHS developments – they don’t always have the info. ( KONP and 999 have briefings on ACOs) HCT paper carries useful info and examples where Councils have made a stand. These important to build
2. Pledges can be useful. Local elections will provide opportunity to put candidates on the spot.
3. Press for consistency between Composite 8 at national Conference and local policy making – blatant gap round
4. Labour leadership needs pressure to give guidance. John Ashworth has spoken out but generally seems to need a rod up his back? Work on/with some good local Labour MPs where poss.
5. Where campaigners are in the Labour Party, get resolutions through local branches and Constituencies to put direct pressure on MPs and councillors
6. Attend and challenge at Board and Committee meetings. Health and Wellbeing crucial. Scrutiny Boards don’t always allow questions but can ask to speak or present case for Scrutiny. Community Committees are another route for the public to access their councillors.
7. Note not all areas have strong Labour groups. Have to work with politicians of other parties too!
1. Unions are working together. Need to work on more joined up activity with health workers, TUs and
2. Resistance to the imposition of wholly owned subsidies, currently for facilities staff, is urgent as many Trusts are
ploughing ahead with implementation.
3. Important to campaign for safe staffing. It shouldn’t be difficult to get the public on board with this. Need good,
clear info. Also need to make the links for NHS workers and try to get them more engaged with the broader campaignto save the NHS. Difficult because they are ground down by it every day.
4. Need to engage more young people which may mean doing things a bit differently – creative/ interesting/ media savvy?
Accountable Care Organisations
1. Getting the messages across to the public is difficult because of terminology. Materials produced need to translate
what is happening into simple, clear messages.
2. Need to explain some of the history with McKinsey et al to help people understand the long waves of planning for
3. Have to try to tackle the disconnect between what Labour Councillors are doing and LP policy
4. We have to make the economic arguments against “austerity” to challenge the “ there just isn’t enough money”
Campaigning Against Cuts and Closures
1. We need to build in an inclusive, open way and recognise that there is a critical mass to get significant shift
2. Also need to try to be to be patient – we’re in it for the long haul
3. Even small groups can generate lots of activitieswhich help to build the campaign
4. Need to get message across to the public that health care is a RIGHT , they are not getting the care they should but it CAN be delivered
5. Although Labour can be very supportive, we must reach out to ALL parties and remain pan political
6. Develop relationship with local media and local politicians
7. Develop local profiles in all your localities attending local events eg fetes, carnivals etc
8. Ensure the group is financially sound and that there is accountability at every level when money is being handled.
9. Draw in local NHS staff to the campaign and approach all their unions and staff associations
10. Engage with the local CCG’s and their farcical processes as information is key, especially the detail.
11. Can the group pursue a legal challenge? Try to get free legal advice and explore any potential legal loopholes.
12. Ensure local councils are forced to use their statutory scrutiny powers and where possible secure referral to the
Secretary of State
Feb 24th Save Bolton NHS rally 12 noon Victoria Square
March 3rd Sheffield rally 3pm on Barkers Pool then demo being planned for 28th April
March 10th NE march and rally assemble 11.45 Framlington Place, next to RVI ,rally 12 at Monument
April 14th Yorks/ Northern HCT march , assemble 11.30 Leeds Art Gallery, march 12.15, short rally
May 12th National TUC demo for workers’ rights in London . Assemble Embankment 11am
June 30th NHS 70th Birthday demo in London, starts 12 noon