Leeds KONP supported junior doctors across Leeds and will continue to do so with any future industrial action. We had good presence at LGI with substantial help from excellent Leeds Hospital Alert members. Others supported Jimmys and Pinderfields. Leeds KONP will continue to support action against any other threats to healthcare staff including nurses, student nurses & AHPs, GPs.
- 2-4pm, NHS campaigns Yorkshire regional meeting – Unison regional office, Leeds
- 5.30-7pm practice session for our flashmob choir, Quaker Meeting House, Woodhouse Lane, Leeds
- 1pm Huddersfield & Calderdale A&E demo, St George’s Square, Huddersfield
- 2-3.30pm stall outside Boots, Commercial St
- 2pm, NHS Leeds West CCG Public Governing Body meeting, Fulneck Room at Pudsey Civic Hall, Dawson’s Corner, Pudsey, LS28 5TA
- 7pm Huddersfield & Calderdale A&E, Methodist Mission, Lords St, Huddersfield
29th – 10.30am Calderdale & Kirklees Joint Scrutiny committee meeting Huddersfield, Council chamber, town hall
30th – Health Campaigns Together national meeting, London – 4 x Leeds KONP attending
5th – closing date for contributions to Leeds Health & Wellbeing strategy
1oth – 6.30pm Leeds KONP meeting, O’Neills, Great George St behind Town Hall, Leeds
12th – 7.30pm Privatisation – this is the big one – Priory Street Centre, York, YO1 6ET, Speakers:
- Dr. Clive Peedell Specialising in clinical oncology. Co-leader & co-founder of the National Health Action Party
- Prof. David Hunter Professor of Health Policy and Management at Durham University
- Rachael Maskell MP. Labour MP for York Central, speaking out for the National Health Service
24th – 6.30pm Leeds KONP meeting, O’Neills, Great George St behind Town Hall, Leeds
NHS Leeds news
Public sector cuts.These were put before LCC Exec last week.
Future cuts to public health spending report
Yorks Commissioning Support Unit bid has been won by a private consortium calling themselves eMBED comprising Kier, who have done health care development projects, Dr. Foster, who provide variation analysis and benchmarking solutions , BDo who do service redesign and Engine who do communications. The official spiel says that the Consortium will provide Business intelligence, IT services , corporate governance, and public/ patient engagement support., HR, procurement and service redesign to the 23 Clinical Commissioning Units in our region. They take over in March 16.
LGI redevelopment plans. The plan is to create more and better facilities on LGI site but sell off parts of the listed building and some other space to help fund it.
NHS national news
Government ignored and buried minimum safe staffing guidelines – non HSJ subscribers can also view full details
NHS Commission – on 6th Jan Lib Dem Norman Lamb asked Parliament for leave to bring in a Bill to establish a Cross Party Commission to examine the future of the NHS and Social Care system. The Bill is backed by a number of Lib Dems, Tory Philip Lee who has hard right view on charges, right wing labourite Alan Lewis, former Conservative Health Sec, Stephen Dorrell and former Labour Health Sec, Alan Milburn. Dorrell has described this as “a new Beveridge report” with the most pressing need being “to establish new funding and management structures that ensure joined up and tailored care” ( sounds like charges !) Lamb said the Commission would engage public and staff , suggesting involvement of “NHS Survival” and “Care England” which represents social care providers. The next reading of this Bill is scheduled for 11th March, the same day as the NHS Bill so likely to crowd out discussion of the NHS Bill.