Our NHS deserves better – full list of local and national events: https://keepournhspublic.com/our-nhs-deserves-better/
Leeds banners and window posters:
Next meeting of Leeds Keep Our NHS Public will be at 6.30pm on Wed. 10th June when we will be discussing the latest developments in the response to the pandemic:
- considering what we can do to stop the NHS being on the table in a trade deal with the US
- And planning activity on 4th July to celebrate and protest around the NHS birthday. We need your ideas, enthusiasm and maybe presence on the street Hoping we might be able to organise a very small parade / pageant with costumes, props and music but nothing sorted and all ideas welcome
Our next meeting on Wed
27th May 6.30 via Zoom
Stacey Booth from GMB will be speaking, along with Jeremy Pritlove who has done work with Unison on bringing home care back into the public sector.
Urgent action needed to protect the NHS from Trade Deals.
KONP , working with Global Justice Now and We Own It et al are asking everyone to contact their MPs NOW to urge them to protect our NHS from trade deals.Negotiations are underway with the US, and the Trade Bill is due to have a second reading in Parliament this Wednesday 20 May. Go to
Help build a campaign to end charging migrants and other people with undocumented status for health care and to drop health surcharges on workers from overseas.
Please read the attached open letter to our MPs, councillors, Leeds Teaching Hospitals and trade union, political and community organisations signed by Dr John Puntis, national Co-chair of Keep Our NHS Public and Chair of Leeds KONP, Dr Martin Schweiger, Retired Consultant in Communicable Disease Control, Jane Aitchison, President of Leeds TUC and Wilson Tweed , Chair of staff side at Leeds Teaching Hospitals Trust. And please send the letter to your MPs and councillors asking them to take action, take it to meetings of any organisations in which you are involved and ask them to endorse the letter, pass it on to your contacts and let us know of any endorsements, feedback etc.
Info and joining info for the Health Campaigns Together / KONP webinar on “ Fighting Covid: International lessons and Warnings” on line this Tuesday 19 may 7pm
Register here https://healthcampaignstogether.com/coronavirus.php
We will be discussing social care at our next Leeds KONP mtg 27th May and have invited speakers.
Summary Action Agreed
- Push the “Test, test, test, PPE, Keep Key Workers Virus free” message. Gilda can send A4 rainbow poster on request and will pass on a new one 999 is preparing
- Consider taking the clap out from our streets to more public places such as outside hospitals, maybe even Social Care homes.
- Spread campaign re migrant charging (Leeds open letter attached)
- Press local and regional health and Social Care Scrutiny Boards to meet (Jenny writing)
- Start some serious campaigning for a national, free at the point of use, public national Social care service.
- Don’t lose sight of Trade deals and exert what pressure we can on our MPs et al
- Do all we can to support whistle-blowers
- Think creatively about co-ordinated celebration, protest, campaigning and maybe even marching in July. Possibly on the weekend of 4th and 5th and maybe 25th as well.
Nationalising Special Purpose Vehicles to end PFI: a discussion of the costs and benefits by Helen Mercer and Dexter Whitfield:
Including: mounting criticism of Johnson et al – If you haven’t seen the Times shocking catalogue of inaction and delay in planning to respondi to the coronavirus pandemic see https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/coronavirus-38-days-when-britain-sleepwalked-into-disaster-hq3b9tlgh
It notes that Johnson took 2 weeks holiday in February and didn’t attend any of the first 5 COBRA meetings called to prepare for the pandemic in the UK. Another newspaper has reported on his ideology putting the market ahead of life and healthcare in a speech in February. Since they were published, the Tories have been scrabbling to issue refutations and dig themselves out of a big hole. It’s only going to get bigger.
Also – DNR and PPE research, carry on clapping, Workers Memorial Day 28th April.
Newsletter: Konp Leeds newsletter 24.4.20
- People Before Profit Covid 19 group now meeting Mondays at 6.30 pm
- Leeds TUC public mtg : Wed 29th April 7pm Testing, PPE; Put our safety first: organise in your workplace. Joining instructions are : https://zoom.us/j/99227080107?pwd=eTdMaHZ2amppazAzalRvSE9uWUFSUT09
- Yorkshire Health Campaigns Together network meeting Friday 1st May at 4pm
- Trades Council May day celebration May 2nd – instead of the May Day march – tbc
- KONP &HCT webinar 5th May 7.30 – 9pm
“Coronavirus Crisis: What now for the NHS ?” Speakers include: Richard Horton, ed. The Lancet, Prof. Allyson Pollock – Public Health Consultant & Director Newcastle Uni. Centre for Excellence in Regulatory Science, Dr John Lister ed. of Health Campaigns Together, co-ed. of The Lowdown. Dr Sonia Adesara – Junior Doc & member of KONP’s NHS Staff Voices group, Pam Kleinot – Producer of Under The Knife. Register here : https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_SeVsKXHHRIa2fvHiDRZVJg
The next LEEDS KONP meeting will be at 6.30 on Wednesday 13th May (sticking to the 2nd and 4th Wed of the month )
Join us online if you can
We may not be dwelling on how angry we are with the Tories for putting NHS workers and many people in harm’s way because of their half brained anti-state, anti-NHS policies because that would sap our energy but when we are through the worst of this we will not be letting them forget the drastic effect of their policies.
We will also be ready to fight every step of the way to stop a slide back into vicious ‘profit before people’ policies.
The UK ranks 24th out of 31 EU countries for numbers of critical care beds per head of population. Germany has four x our nos. !
We have about half the EU average number of hospital beds and one of the lowest numbers of doctors per head of population.
There are 100,000 + empty posts in the NHS
Essential staff have been kicked out of the NHS into private subsidiary companies
Vital NHS services have been sold off; our blood plasma supplier was sold to a US private equity firm in 2013 for £200m then 3 years later sold on to a Chinese buyer for £820
NHS delivery services were contracted out to DHL who were taken over by Unipart !
The ‘National’ has been taken out of the NHS.
Fragmentation and privatisation run rabid