- RCN reacted quickly to the 1% offer by talking about building up a strike fund. In Leeds a couple of people took a placard and banner to St. James and posted pics. The Labour Party are saying the staff should get the promised 2% but this is only £7 a week for many. Lots of workers are losing out on pay rises but to hold back on supporting NHS staff is to join a race to the bottom. 97,000 nurses have moved out of their nursing jobs in the last 10 years and a large proportion of the workforce is over 55, so coming up to retirement.
- Vocare started off in Scarborough, where some staff were tuped over, and is now embedded in York as well, providing GP out of hours service and a minor injuries clinic. They started off small and GP owned but have been bought out by Totally Ltd – see Jenny Shepherd’s blog
- Calderdale Scrutiny Board is challenging whether there will be sufficient support in place within the community to justify/enable the planned reduction in hospital beds by 155 and reduction from two to one intensive care units.
- In Craven half of the GP practices are run by Modality and Grassington surgery has been run down and amalgamated with a practice in Ilkley. People are also being sent to Skipton and other towns for Covid vaccinations and the notion of a local GP service is fast disappearing
- Leeds Hospital Alert have been taking the lead campaigning against the panned closures of 2 Local Authority homes one of which provides invaluable respite care. Meanwhile Villa Care continue to run 5 transit wards in Leeds and Wharfedale Hospitals – insourcing privatisation again !
You can register for some or all of the fortnightly wed evening sessions of KONP’s People’s Inquiry Into Covid at : https://us02web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_DbK_8P-rRgm5VVsUebTKbw
We are pencilled in for a Yorkshire demonstration for the NHS in Leeds on Saturday 10th July
If you haven’t visited Leeds KONP In the Dark exhibition yet, you can visit directly by clicking: https://www.artsteps.com/view/6053a99418b3ed388c99fc32